Monday, June 4, 2012

the journey.

So the journey begins. $33,000 in student loans, a college diploma, and a somewhat vague but ambitious hope to make the world a better place. So far I have secured what I hope to be a job that will get me on track for that. Starting in July I will be working for a foundation in Portland that will build me up for nonprofit leadership. 

A soon to be 22 year old female immigrant hoping to make the world a better place in a city full of tree-hugging-coffee-drinking-dread-happy-beer-brewing-tatted-putabirdonit-90s-drifting-hippies. Seems pretty easy right? A city full of recycling caffeinated (or slightly drunk) colorful hippies... how hard can making a difference be?

At this point I am wondering what exactly gave me the right to think that I can actually make a difference. Maybe I've spent too many afternoons drinking French press coffees at my favorite spot in town thinking about life. But really... what exactly did I get for my $33,000 I will have to pay back in 10 years? I can tell you one thing- I didn't get a job that pays me $33,000. It's not all the lectures, projects, assignments and presentations that I will look back on every time I make a loan payment. I look back on my four years and think about making friends with a 63 year old recovering alcoholic who taught me about the power of the holy spirit, and sharing meals with a middle-aged homosexual man who is HIV positive in the basement of an old church talking about life and taking a 17 year old Iranian refugee girl shopping for winter clothes while answering questions about why American music is tasteless and non-violent protests in Portland is not something she should be afraid of. And I think about how I would never have climbed to the top of Mount Adams and witnessed the vastness of God's beauty in the midst of one of the scariest storms I've seen and I definitely would not gotten proposed to twice while stranded alone in an Ethiopian airport. None of this would have happened if I was not enrolled full time in an accredited higher education institution for four years. Maybe four years ago if you told me this is what $33,000 would have bought me... I would have laughed and said you were crazy. Now I look back and think... "is that all it cost me?"

It might have been an expensive way to live for four years if all I have to show society is a couple of boxes, a fish who I call Dusty Cheater (because he looks like dust and cheated me out of the goldfish I really wanted), a beat up 2002 Mazda, and a piece of paper saying something fancy about all of my hard work. But I could care less about what society has to say because since when has it been a good measure for anything?

My last post was about the importance of Ubuntu. You cannot find that word or concept in any textbook or lecture or assignment I have done over the past four years. I have never heard a professor utter those words, but I have heard a dear friend of mine who is our campus pastor speak about Ubuntu in front of a group of college students (something I am sure was foreign to them).  It was a term I was familiar with because it was something I've witnessed all around the world – but a concept very foreign to my neighborhood. My diploma is not a testimony of my heart and the life I have lived over the past few years and it is not a road map of my future. It is a piece of paper that says to society I am worthy of hire. 
I may be textbook ready for the world - but I have also learned that we are who we are through other people. And I am dedicating my vocation to just that.


i am because you are. 

   

2 comments:

  1. First post, I read. I really like what you say here. I wish you the best on your next venture and I'm proud to see you graduate and get things rolling. Best of luck lady even though your just in the next room lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to share this journey with you, keeep us posted!

    ReplyDelete