Saturday, July 7, 2012

stories.

I love stories and I love people. Any kind of stories. Stories out of books, stories off of peoples lips, stories from movies, newspaper stories… any and all kinds of stories.  I love hearing them and I love sharing them.
I was at Target yesterday at the checkout stand and noticed that most of the magazines that were out were all about people. Mostly famous people. None, if any, had anything featured on a “normal” (or not so famous) person. This got me to thinking about how most often than not, we know more about the lives of celebrities and people we have not met than those who live right next door or right across the street from us. For some reason this fascinates me. Particularly because if you asked me what my dream job would be I would tell you I would travel the world, sitting in coffee shops over caffeinated, asking people to tell me about their story (all the while maintaining a blog that shares these stories with people like you). I  love hearing about where you grew up, what your family is like, what your fears are, defining moments in your life, what makes you laugh, what makes you cry, is Jesus one of your best friends, have you ever been in love, your worst haircut… the list goes on.
Stories are what make the world what it is. Your story and my story are threads that work together to create a masterpiece that is our humanity today. Ubuntu. Even though we just met and I barely know anything aside from your name and that you have a nose too big for your face… our story is not separate but together.
Although no one is paying me to write this blog, and I am definitely not planning on booking any plane tickets soon, I’ve been blessed with a job that allows me to meet people from all around the world and share stories. I will share these stories with you as we both grow to fall in love with humanity and close the gaps between the people we know and the people we don’t know.  

What do you think her story is?






i am because you are.

2 comments: